Yesterday Canon has introduced their new Speedlite 470EX-AI with the innovative Auto Intelligent Bounce function. The new feature is designed to set the optimal bounce angle for natural, properly illuminated results indoors.
The flash head is equipped with a motor, allowing to set the angle of flash automatically, and a sensor on the face of the flash unit. When the photographer press the shutter button on the camera, new Speedlite points out at the subject, calculates the distance, then points itself at the ceiling and calculates the distance again. After calculations being done 470EX-AI reorients itself into a “final working” position, into what it “thinks” is the best direction to achieve the perfect bounce light for your subject. The flash unit also automatically reorients itself if you turn your camera into portrait position or vice-versa.
The only drawback of this feature is once you will relocate yourself within the location or recompose your photo, you’ll need to pass through the automatic setting-up process again. Because the flash unit sets itself to a single specified adjustment settings.
Also, Speedlite 470EX-AI calculates only the distance and does not calculate the color (or shape) of the ceiling. So, if used you’ll need to include such possible options into your own estimation.
Obviously the new Speedlite 470EX-AI allows you to work in semi-auto or manual mode, as you may probably got used to with other flash units.
Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Specifications:
• “Full Auto” and “Semi Auto” modes for different types of Auto Intelligent (AI) Bounce function.
• Head is equipped with an electric drive for head rotation.
• The guide number is 47 (at 105 mm).
• Optimized for 24-105 mm of field angle. With additional wide panel (14 mm adapter) for wider angle of light. With clip-on bounce adapter for more softer light.
• Dot matrix display.
• Shortcut buttons and controller wheel for quick change of flash unit settings.
• Does not include radio transmitter / trigger.
• Infrared AF assist mode.
• Powered by 4 AA batteries.
• Size: 74.6 x 130.4 x 105.1 mm.
• Weight: 385 g (excluding batteries).
Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI will be placed just in between 430EX III-RT and 600EX II-RT.
The stated price for the new Speedlite 470EX-AI is $399. Estimated availability – April 2018.
You can buy Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI here.